At Shoo-Foo, we’ve always been advocates for taking the environmentally-friendly, sustainable route. A lot of people have adopted greener practices in their lives — but what about at work? The average North American spends 40 hours a week at work. That’s a lot of time where the environment might not be the most pressing thing on your mind. That’s why we’ve come up with a few ways to help make your workplace eco-friendly.
Energy Saving Tips
It’s hard to run a business without electricity, but there are lots of things we can do to conserve the energy we use. Try the following suggestions:
- Use the energy-saver settings on your computer.
- Change incandescent light bulbs to fluorescent bulbs which use 75% less energy and last 10x longer.
- Install motion sensors that turn lights off when no one is around
- Power off. When an electronic device is turned off but still plugged in, that phantom power wastes electricity. Ensure your devices are unplugged over evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Paper Saving Tips
From memos to purchase orders and everything in between, paper is a widely-used resource in many workplaces. Reduce your paper use (and waste) with the following:
- Go digital. Read and share documents online. Try calendar and note-taking applications like Evernote instead of notebooks and agendas.
- Use recycled paper or paper made from bamboo(!) or hemp.
- Keep a basket next to the printer for waste paper that can be reused.
- Make double-sided printing the default setting.
- Install hand dryers in bathrooms and eliminate paper towel waste.
Water Saving Tips
Here are some water-saving tips for your work and home:
- Install low-flush toilets or keep a brick in the water tank to reduce the amount of water used.
- Add aerators to faucets to reduce water waste.
Waste Reducing Tips
Minimize waste around the office with these suggestions:
- Provide appropriate containers for recycling and composting. Make sure everyone knows what products go in each container. Pictures are always helpful.
- Bring your own mug and reusable water bottle to cut down on waste.
- Keep washable dishes and cutlery in the breakroom instead of disposables.
Emissions Reducing Tips
Encourage other modes of transportation:
- Walk or bike to work.
- Take public transportation. See if your workplace can get reduced fares on tickets.
- Start up a carpool with coworkers.
At Shoo-Foo, we go green by having a virtual office, using green web hosting, and creating sustainable organic bamboo products for all our customers. How do you go green? Let us know on Facebook!